Activities around Stonecutters, Dullstroom, Lydenburg and Mpumalanga
Onsite Outdoor Activities
Spend time exploring the beautiful and secure 63 hectare property during your stay at Stonecutters Lodge. Enjoy fly-fishing on site, walking, hiking and jogging trails and fantastic birdwatching along the 3km river meander - or simply chill out with your family and friends and make the most of being out of the city.
Stonecutters has 2 well-stocked dams, ideal for both the seasoned fisherman or for a beginner. Equipment is available for hire and a local guide will teach casting techniques and basic skills. The Lodge offers a Fly-Fishing Package (2 or 3 nights) that includes B&B, equipment hire and tuition.
Walking and Jogging
The 63-hectare Stonecutters property has many walking and jogging tracks. Jog along the river banks or take a walk up the mountain for beautiful, panoramic views. Alternatively, you can stroll to the deck at the river which is a charming picnic and braai spot where you can relax and enjoy the atmosphere.
The bird hide at Stonecutters overlooks a wetland. Spot Purple Heron, Bald Ibis, Moorhens, and Crakes from the hide. Kingfishers flit along the river and grassland birds abound. Guerney’s Sugarbird is often seen in the protea bushes on the mountain side.
Nearby Towns & Activities
Stonecutters is situated in the Mpumalanga Highlands between Dullstroom and Lydenburg and 15 minutes from the foot of the Long Tom Pass, the start of the Panorama Route. This means the area is packed with outdoor activities and sight-seeing opportunities. With Stonecutters as your base, the scenic wonders of Mpumalanga beckons.
- Explore Lydenburg
- Explore Dullstroom
- Nearby Game & Nature Reserves
- Explore the Panorama Route
- Adventure & Sport Activities
- Educational Outings for Kids
Visit the nearby town of Lydenburg
The nearby town of Lydenburg, only a 15 minute drive away from Stonecutters Lodge, is situated at the foothills of the Long Tom Pass and is surrounded by the Steenkampsberg mountain range. Lydenburg is a mining town servicing the numerous platinum and chrome mines in the area. It is a great provisioning town for those exploring the area.
Lydenburg is home to numerous iron age sites such as on the Boomplaas farm and at the Lydenburg Museum, replicas of the Lydenburg Heads are beautifully displayed along with much of the original pottery. The Lydenburg Museum is also a treasure-house of early settler and Anglo-Boer War displays. This museum is well-worth a visit!
Take a drive to the nearby town of Dullstroom
Dullstroom is a quaint town and is only 35kms from Stonecutters and is a tourist destination with many curio shops, coffee spots, restaurants and pubs. Dullstroom has many fascinating shops with a difference which you should be sure to visit while you are there.
- The Clock Shop: For a fascinating collection of timepieces large and small. Largest selection in South Africa!
- The Rock Shop: For baskets heaped with semi-precious stones and jewelry.
- The Old Transvaal Inn: For hand-made sweets, teddy bears and bric-a-brac.
- The Chocolate Shop: Belgium chocolate and chocolate fountain – fill your chocolate cup. Yummy!
- The Whisky Bar: At Auldstone House for the largest selection of whisky in South Africa. Gin tastings are very popular too. Wine and coffee is also served.
- The Anvil Brewery: Enjoy award winning beer produced by a passionate brewer. Beer tastings are popular here and light meals are served.
Verloren Valei Nature Reserve
Located just just outside of Dullstroom. This protected nature reserve boasts great landscapes famous for amazing flowers and home to all the crane species of South Africa, including the endangered wattled crane. Entrance to Verloren Valei Nature Reserve needs to be booked in advance, where you have the option for a guided tour. Read more about Verloren Valei...
Gustav Klingbiel Nature Reserve and Lydenburg Museum
This beautiful reserve has a small interesting museum dating back to the iron age and Voortrekker times - BUT is also fantastic for mountain biking. Various tracks are available from easy to technically difficult. Birdwatching at Gustav Klingbiel is good and game is abundant too. Read more about Gustav Klingbiel reserve...
Day Trips through the Panorma Route
Stonecutters Lodge is a mere 15 minutes drive from the foot of the Long Tom Pass, the starting point of the Panorama Route - home to many scenic wonders of Mpumalanga.
The towns of Sabie, over the stunning Long Tom Pass, Graskop and world-renowned attractions such God’s Window, Blyde River Canyon, Mac Mac Falls and the Bourkes Luck Potholes are an easy drive away. Make a day of it and have lunch in Sabie or Graskop. The Graskop gorge with a glass lift to the forest floor is a must do!
- Clay Pigeon Shooting: This popular event is held at Field and Stream and under the supervision of an expert.
- Mountain Biking: The surrounding areas have fabulous mountain biking opportunities with various rides and routes to choose from. Click here for MTB routes
- Dullstroom Horse Riding Centre: Well behaved and well-schooled horses and lovely landscapes make all outings a pleasure. Rides on ponies for children are available.
- Golf in Lydenburg: Enjoy a well maintained 9 hole course with 2 sets of tees in Lydenburg.
- Golf at Highland Gate: Highland Gate is 14 kms from Dullstroom and is a highly rated (ranked in the top 20 in South Africa) 18 hole championship course designed by Ernie Els. Golf carts are available for hire to navigate this dramatic mountain landscape.
Head out and explore with the kids!
Bird of Prey Centre: Watch the Big 5 fly daily at 10h30 and 14h30 depending on the weather. Bird of Prey Centre is a short drive away from Stonecutters Lodge. A restaurant serving light meals is on the premises and there is a kiddies play area with a farm animal petting zoo. All raptors at the Bird of Prey Centre are rehabilitated birds and are released back to the wild if possible.
From the blog
Book Direct & Save
Enquire direct through our website by submitting the form below. Please select accommodation from the drop-down arrow. We can assure you of the best deal running at the time of the enquiry and will get in touch with you with a quotation and answer any queries